On Monday 9th February 2015 we had a talk from Ken Pye about the Liverpool Streets and how they acquired their names. He told us about the Liverpool H pattern of streets near the Pier Head. There are 7 streets Castle Street (which is named after the Castle that used to be there), High Street, Old Hall Street (the site of a Hall), Dale street which lead to the Dale, Tithebarn Street named as that was where people took their tithes, Water Street which lead to the waterfront, Chapel Street (site of Chapel Saint Nicks) and finally The Strand as this was build near to the shingle shore. The Liverpool Streets get their names from specific landmarks for example London Road as it leads to London and Scotland Road as this lead to Scotland. Liverpool years ago was the most important port in the UK before London.
It was extremely interesting to learn of the Streets in Liverpool and how they got their names. For example Sleepers Hill near to Stanley Park got its name after a lion escape from an Irish Circus visiting Stanley Park. A search started to try to find the lion but no lion was found until eventually it was found asleep in the woods above Stanley Park and this is how Sleepers Hill got its name. Addison Street was originally called Sick Mans Lane but the residents complained about the title and eventually it was changed. Deads Mans Track leading to Everton was given this name due to people being buried there after dying from the plague. In 1765 Princes Dock was opened as a swimming pool and both men and women attended on different days. There were 2 pools with one heated and it was the 1st in Britain and this swimming pool finally closed in the 1800’s. The street was called appropriately Bath Street.
We couldn’t believe that Liverpool was a Spa town with people encouraged to drink the River Mersey with half pint milk and half pint River Mersey water 8 times a day! I don’t think any member would want to drink the River Mersey water today
The talk finished with a romantic tale about William Lockerby from Scotland who had a dream to travel to Fiji and he walked all the way to Liverpool docks. He would shout to the crew asking if the ship was bound for the South Seas. He wanted to see dolphins and the desert islands. Every day he visited the docks and during this time met a young lady selling small items. He told her of his wish to visit the South Seas. Eventually they fell in love and married and she encouraged him to fulfil his dream. She told him she would wait for him if he got a passage to the South Seas. He finally found a ship going to the South Seas and he left Ann Curran behind. He promised her he would return one day. After many years Ann’s friends said that she should forget him as he was not coming home. After 12 years a ship landed and she heard her name being shouted and there was William Lockerby. He explained to Ann that he had been a castaway on one of the Fijian Islands and that the natives had not eaten him! He came back a very rich man as he made his fortune from sand. They were reunited and they had 7 daughters and 1 son and they both lived into their late 80’s. Lockerby Street is named after William Lockerby.